Charitable Remainder Annuity Trust
How It Works
- You transfer cash, securities, or other appreciated property into a trust. The required minimum for this type of gift is $1,000.
- The trust makes fixed annual payments to you or to beneficiaries you name.
- When the trust terminates, the remainder passes to BrightFocus Foundation* and/or its program(s) to be used as you have directed.
- Receive income for life or a term of years in return for your gift.
- Receive an immediate income tax deduction for a portion of your contribution.
- Pay no up front capital gains tax on appreciated assets you donate.
- Use the trust to meet needs that are tied to a specific time frame, such as college tuition payments.
*BrightFocus programs are Alzheimer's Disease Research, Macular Degeneration Research and National Glaucoma Research